The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is pleased to announce the 2020-21 recipients of VMFA fellowships. Twenty-six students and professional artists were selected from more than 500 applicants to receive a total of $146,000 towards professional advancements in the arts. The VMFA Fellowship Program has awarded more than $5.8 million to over 1,395 artists since 1940. Recipients must be Virginia residents and may use the award as desired, including for education and studio investments. Each year, professional curators and working artists serve as jurors to select fellowship recipients.
“The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Fellowship Program is proud to support student and professional artists working across the Commonwealth,” said Alex Nyerges, VMFA director and CEO. “We offer one of the largest fellowship programs of its kind in the United States and recognize this effort as a core part of our mission.”
VMFA awarded ten professional fellowships of $8,000 each this year. Professional fellowship recipients are:
- Paul Finch, New & Emerging Media, Richmond;
- Emma Gould, Photography, Richmond;
- Sterling Hundley, Drawing, Chesterfield;
- Sue Johnson, Mixed Media, Richmond;
- Abigail Lucien, Sculpture, Richmond;
- Margaret Meehan, Sculpture, Richmond;
- David Riley, Film/Video, Richmond;
- Dash Shaw, Drawing, Richmond;
- Jon-Philip Sheridan, New & Emerging Media, Richmond; and
- Susan Worsham, Photography, Richmond.
Veronica Roberts, curator of modern and contemporary art at the Blanton Museum of Art, was the juror for the professional fellowship entries.
Undergraduate fellowships of $4,000 went to ten students this year. The recipients are:
- Tatyana Bailey, Photography, Virginia Commonwealth Univeristy (VCU), Richmond;
- Emma Carlson, Film/Video, VCU, Des Moines, IA;
- Nicolas Fernandez, Photography, VCU, Fredericksburg;
- Erika Masis Laverde, Mixed Media, VCU, Glen Allen;
- Amuri Morris, Painting, VCU, Richmond;
- Megan O’Casey, Mixed Media, VCU, Arlington;
- Zoe Pettit, Mixed Media, VCU, Mechanicsville;
- Sarah N. Smith, Sculpture, VCU, Williamsburg;
- Nadya Steare, Drawing, George Mason University (GMU), Falls Church; and;
- Elizabeth Yoo, New & Emerging Media, VCU, Glen Allen.