It’s been 10 years since Saks revolutionized the shoe industry with a shoe floor so big it needed its own zip code; the luxury retailer marks this incredible milestone with more than 75 exclusive styles, windows featuring custom designer birthday cakes, exclusive made-to-order programs, and more
On August 17, Saks Fifth Avenue will celebrate the 10th birthday of its famed 10022-SHOE salon. A pioneer in the footwear industry, Saks Fifth Avenue was among the first retailers to place a greater focus on shoes by creating a shoe department so big, the U.S. Postal Service granted the floor its own ZIP code―10022-SHOE. And now, 10 years later, 10022-SHOE is home to 110 designer brands―a number that has more than doubled since its inception in 2007; holds as many as 200,000 pairs of shoes; and has been expanded into 25 locations in the U.S. and Canada. Brands such as Jimmy Choo, CHANEL, Christian Louboutin, Dior, Saint Laurent, and Gucci, among others, have been with 10022-SHOE since the very beginning and will honor its 10th birthday at Saks with exclusive styles, made-to-order programs, custom birthday cake window designs, and more.
Throughout the past 10 years, Saks Fifth Avenue has held a constant and dominating presence in the shoe industry, selling on average 850,000 pairs of shoes per year, which equates to approximately 8.5 million over the course of its 10 year history―that’s enough “shoe footage” to travel up and down the Empire State Building close to 2,000 times!
Coupled with its impressive selection, 10022-SHOE has played host to many launches, exhibitions and firsts:
- In 2008, 10022-SHOE was chosen to host the 70th anniversary exhibition of ruby slippers honoring the 1939 film, “The Wizard of Oz,” which included styles by designers including Oscar de la Renta, Stuart Weitzman and Roger Vivier, as well as Judy Garland‘s original ruby slippers designed by Adrian Greenberg of MGM studios;
- From 2008 to 2015, designers such as Christian Louboutin, Manolo Blahnik, Edgardo Osorio of Aquazzura, Paul Andrew and Nicholas Kirkwood, among many others, made special appearances at 10022-SHOE locations across the country;
- In early 2015, 10022-SHOE paid tribute to Disney’s live-action film inspired by the classic fairy tale, “Cinderella,” by collaborating, in partnership with Disney Consumer Products, with nine luxury designers―including Paul Andrew, Tabitha Simmons, Nicholas Kirkwood, Jimmy Choo and Salvatore Ferragamo―to create their own interpretations of Cinderella‘s famed glass slipper;
- Later in 2015, 10022-SHOE made history with the launch of Manolo Blahnik’s first U.S. shop-in-shop in the United States; and
- In 2016, Saks opened its first store dedicated solely to shoes—10022-SHOE Greenwich—located in the heart of Greenwich, CT.
“The strength and growth of 10022-SHOE over the past 10 years is a testament to Saks’ commitment to the footwear category as well as our customers’ desire for the depth and breadth of our designer and emerging designer shoe assortment,” stated Tracy Margolies, Chief Merchant, Saks Fifth Avenue. “10022-SHOE is a landmark for shoe lovers in New York City and around the world for one-of-a-kind merchandise and experiences that they cannot find anywhere else―a core principle of Saks’ identity.”
Beginning this month, Saks Fifth Avenue is celebrating 10022-SHOE‘s 10th birthday with:
- More than 75 exclusive shoe styles from powerhouse brands such as Aquazzura, Gucci, Giuseppe Zanotti, Valentino Garavani and Gianvito Rossi;
- 12 exclusive made-to-order programs, including programs by Prada, Alexandre Birman, Manolo Blahnik, Nicholas Kirkwood, Roger Vivier and Jimmy Choo; and
- 16 designer Happy Birthday 10022-SHOE cakes featured in the New York flagship store’s windows designed by brands such as Valentino Garavani, Gianvito Rossi, Gucci and Prada.
From Thursday, Aug. 17 until Sunday, Aug. 20, Saks will showcase a visual installation in its New York flagship, entitled “10 Galleries: A Decade of Shoes.” Each of the 10 installations will play off the 10022-SHOE exclusive items and trends and invite customers to discover, interact with, and celebrate all things shoes.
Notable footwear designers share memories about Saks Fifth Avenue and 10022-SHOE:
Designer Christian Louboutin speaks about his fondest memory of Saks’ 10022-SHOE: “Doing a personal appearance on the shoe level when it was first opened where women told me intimate stories about themselves and their shoes. It made me understand the desire of the American customer, their differences in their approach, and their taste for luxury.”
Designer Manolo Blahnik speaks about his fondest memory of Saks’ 10022-SHOE: “I think when we first launched our boutique in 2015―we had a book signing and dinner. It was an honour to meet so many women who loved my shoes … I love it [Saks]! It has always been one of my favourite stores, so beautiful and feminine!”
Designer Sandra Choi of Jimmy Choo―a brand which first launched at Saks Fifth Avenue in 1997―recalls her favorite memory, designing the commemorative 2007 10022-SHOE stamp: “The custom Jimmy Choo stamp I designed for the inauguration of the shoe floor 10 years ago. It was designed to reflect the unique zip code that was created to mark the opening. It featured a sketch I drew of a signature pump, it was such a fun and original idea.”
Designer Nicholas Kirkwood speaks to his exclusive 10022-SHOE birthday style: “I wanted to create something completely different to celebrate the 10022-SHOE 10th birthday, but also something special, and I loved the idea of the interplay between masculinity and femininity so it was from there that I designed the Combat boot.”
Designer Paul Andrew speaks about his partnership with Saks Fifth Avenue: “Saks has been a signifier of style and sophistication since they opened their doors for the first time in 1924. When I launched my own brand in 2013, my very first order came from Saks. It was a surreal moment—and Saks will always hold a special place in my heart for that reason.”
Designer Edgardo Osorio of Aquazzura speaks fondly about Saks Fifth Avenue: “Saks is such an iconic shopping hub, especially the historic Fifth Avenue flagship, and it’s just amazing to be carried there and all over the United States … Saks was the first department store to buy AQUAZZURA in the U.S. and as one of our key partners, they have continued to believe in me and my designs ever since. Over the years the working relationship has blossomed into a friendship.“
Check out Saks’ 10 top shoe trends in the upcoming Saks Fifth Avenue Shoe Book, which will be available in stores and on saks.com August 16. Visitors can view their local stores’ 10022-SHOE celebratory activities on the Store & Locations page on Saks.com. Saks Fifth Avenue also welcomes viewers to connect via its social channels, and to follow #10022SHOE for insider access.