100 Industry Leaders Highlight The Opportunities And Challenges That Technology Brings; A Desire For Unique Venues And Memorable Experiences; And New Voices Fueling New Subcultures
Absolut® – a brand that’s had its finger on the pulse of nightlife since the Eighties – released a “State of Nightlife 2015” report as an output of Absolut Labs, an idea incubator and think tank for cutting-edge ideas, products and technology that help push nightlife forward. The report identifies emerging trends and consistent themes resonating across the landscape as described by 100 of the country’s most influential leaders in the space. (You can read the full “State of Nightlife 2015” report at theabsolutlabs.com/research)
From promoters to DJs, entrepreneurs to creatives, these influencers give voice to the challenges facing the industry and the rising possibilities. The report finds that the once-dominant exclusive, bottle-service model is evolving into more inclusive, diverse and exciting scenes than ever before.
The study, conducted between May and August 2015, features insights from a diverse array of Absolut’s ‘tribes,’ or “Nightlife Fuelers,” including Beatmakers (emerging DJs and producers) and Visual Stage Acts (multi-media artists, programmers, performers and designers) and “Nightlife Makers,” including Party Fixers (concept creators, promoters) and Nightclub Owners.
Through one-on-one interviews, these influencers shared insights into consumer behaviors and motivations as well as personal experiences grounded in business-driven nighttime ventures. As a result, nine trends emerged across the three primary drivers of the industry: Music, Venue and Experience.
Music: Extended nightlife hours and a desire for an immersive experience are driving both sonic and audience diversity.
- EDM is evolving to blend new production techniques with live instrumentation and merging with other genres like rock and R&B.
- Diversified playlists are fueling Open Format parties which, in turn, draw more diverse, “melting pot”-type crowds.
- Visuals are now becoming as important as the music, with new technology providing more epic, cinematic experiences than ever before.
Venue: A desire for authenticity and meaningful experiences is informing venue choices, from intimate get-togethers to large scale festivals.
- Nostalgia for house parties is rising with consumers looking for nights that come together more organically.
- Mega-Clubs are waning, surprise off-the-grid venues are in.
- Festivals are diversifying, offering more versatile musical line-ups for inclusive, collective experiences that span mindfulness, fitness and entrepreneurship.
Experiences: Experience is the new luxury, especially when it’s tailored and in-the-moment.
- Hosts are starting to require their guests to detach from their devices and focus on forging connections with those around them.
- While nightlife experiences were franchised in mega clubs in the past, trends are now starting on a local level and then tailored to each new community as they expand.
- Nightlife is becoming more heterogeneous and eclectic with niche communities rapidly shaping mainstream tastes.