The Peninsula Shanghai welcomes the Chinese New Year with authentic family experiences to bring joy and prosperity for The Year of the Rat. Peninsula guests and local residents can ring in the New Year with a range of customs and traditions, welcoming the most important occasion in the Chinese lunar year. Throughout the festive period, a canopy of red lanterns will decorate the hotel forecourt and festive plum blossoms will decorate The Lobby. Guests will be welcomed by 6.5 metre traditional Chinese paper-cutting with intricate detailing and New Year blessings – a decoration which has become one of The Peninsula Shanghai’s Spring Festival traditions.
As tradition states, The Peninsula Shanghai (No. 32 The Bund 32 Zhongshan Dong Yi Road Shanghai 200002 The People’s Republic of China. +86 21 2327 2888. PSH@PENINSULA.COM) will once again host its spectacular Lion Dance performance by the award-winning Ha Kwok Cheung dance troupe from Hong Kong at The Lobby on January 25, 2020 and at Yi Long Court every evening from January 25to 31 January, 2020. A fantastic show to behold, The Peninsula’s Lion Dance performance is a picture-perfect moment for the entire family in anticipation of the new year.
Sharing a sumptuous reunion banquet with family and friends is perhaps the ultimate highlight of the Spring Festival holiday. One Michelin-starred Yi Long Court will present Chef Tsui’s delectable eight-course Chinese New Year menus with two options: the Treasure and Longevity menus.
On Chinese New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, diners at Yi Long Court can enjoy three quintessential delicacies from Southern China. Poon Choi, a luxurious Chinese casserole with premium Yunnan truffle, prickly sea cucumber, abalone and oysters, is served in two versions, Fortune and Fame and Fortune and Treasure. Lo Hei is a sumptuous raw fish salad that groups of guests stir together as they make a wish for the year ahead.
A regional specialty enjoyed across China during the Spring Festival, traditional Nian Gao rice puddings are a quintessentially Chinese festive delicacy. Created by the one Michelin-starred Yi Long Court culinary team, Nian Gao are available to be enjoyed at the restaurant or for purchase at The Peninsula Boutique. Customers may also choose to purchase on the Weidian online store – a platform that proven to be wonderfully popular with new and existing Peninsula patrons.
The renowned Afternoon Tea at The Lobby welcomes an all-new menu option created especially for Chinese New Year. The Lobby’s new menu includes an array of dishes including crispy red bean puff, baked egg tart, kumquat & milk chocolate macaron, abalone & shiitake mushroom tart, green tea & yuzu scones served with kumquat jam & lemon curd. The new Chinese New Year Afternoon Tea is dedicated to providing guests with a memorial experience.
As one lunar year gives way to another, Spring Festival is the perfect time for a rejuvenating wellness experience at The Peninsula Spa. The CHA LING Winter Body and Face Energizer promotes effective protection from winter coldness, offering an express anti-ageing facial and a full body acupressure massage to activate various organs that take the brunt of harsh winter conditions. A holistic experience of deep relaxation and rejuvenation, The CHA LING Winter Body and Face Energizer is a fabulous way to welcomeThe Year of the Rat.
- The eight-course Chinese New Year menus at one Michelin-starred Yi Long Court are priced at RMB 1,988* per guest (Treasure) and RMB 2,588* per guest (Longevity).
- Poon Choi is served in two versions, Fortune and Fame (RMB 3,888*) and Fortune and Treasure (RMB 1,688*), plus an optional RMB 500* for Yunnan truffle.
- Lo Hei is priced at RMB 698* (eight to 10 guests) and RMB 418* (four to six guests). For dining reservations or more information, please contact Yi Long Court at +86 (21) 2327 6742.
- Traditional Nian Gao is priced at RMB 288 net, available at The Peninsula Boutique at the basement level one. For more information, please contact The Peninsula Boutique at +86 (21) 2327 6901.
- The Chinese New Year Afternoon Tea is served from 2:00 pm-6:00 pm, and is priced at RMB 388* per person and RMB 728* for two person. For reservations, please contact at +86 (21) 2327 6741.
- The 80-minute Winter Body and Face Energizer is priced at RMB 1,380 net per person. For enquiries or appointments, please contact +86 (21) 2327 6599 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
*All prices are subject to a 16.6% surcharge.
Images provided by The Peninsula Shanghai