The 2018 list of Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants, sponsored by S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna, was announced at an awards ceremony at Wynn Palace, Macau. Now in its sixth year, the 2018 edition includes eight new entries.
The list is created from the votes of the Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants Academy, an influential group of over 300 leaders in the restaurant industry across Asia. For the 2018 edition, Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants is once again working with professional services consultancy Deloitte as its official independent adjudication partner. To see more details on Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants voting process, visit http://www.theworlds50best.com/asia/en/our-manifesto.html
Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants list is published by William Reed Business Media, which also publishes The World’s 50 Best Restaurants, launched in 2002, and Latin America’s 50 Best Restaurants, launched in September 2013. William Reed Business Media is entirely responsible for the organization of the awards, the voting system, and the list.
Gaggan in Bangkok claims the No.1 spot for a fourth year, retaining the dual titles of The Best Restaurant in Asia, sponsored by S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna, and The Best Restaurant in Thailand.
The 2018 edition of Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants list includes Bangkok newcomer Paste (No.31), headed by Bongkoch ‘Bee’ Satongun, who is also named elit® Vodka Asia’s Best Female Chef 2018.
Den (No.2) earns the title of The Best Restaurant in Japan while La Cime in Osaka debuts at No.17, earning the Highest New Entry Award, sponsored by Aspire Lifestyles. Acclaimed Japanese chef Yoshihiro Narisawa is this year’s recipient of the peer-voted Chefs’ Choice Award, sponsored by Estrella Damm.
L’Effervescence (No.20) in Tokyo won the inaugural Sustainable Restaurant Award in Asia, presented to the restaurant with the highest environmental rating, as determined by audit partner the Sustainable Restaurant Association.
Singapore claims seven entries on the 2018 list with Odette (No.5) named The Best Restaurant in Singapore.
Amber (No.7) in Hong Kong is named The Best Restaurant in Greater China for a third successive year. Hong Kong’s The Chairman (No.22) and Mume in Taipei (No.18) tie for the Highest Climber Award with both restaurants rising 25 places. Nicolas Lambert of Caprice, Hong Kong is the 2018 recipient of the Asia’s Best Pastry Chef Award, sponsored by Valrhona.
Macao is represented by Jade Dragon (No.35) while Mainland China counts Shanghai restaurants Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet (No.8) and Fu He Hui (No.30). Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet is also the 2018 recipient of The Art of Hospitality Award.
Mingles (No.11) in Seoul retains The Best Restaurant in South Korea title. Locavore (No.21) keeps The Best Restaurant in Indonesia honor while Indian Accent is awarded The Best Restaurant in India for the fourth time. Other country and region winners include Raw (No.15), winning The Best Restaurant in Taiwan title for the second year, and Ministry of Crab in Colombo (No.25) named The Best Restaurant in Sri Lanka.
Toyo Eatery in Manila earns the Miele One To Watch Award while chef Andre Chiang is this year’s recipient of The Diners Club® Lifetime Achievement Award.
Macao is a small and magical destination luring millions of visitors each year drawn by the city’s singular heritage, its state-of-the-art integrated resorts, the rich calendar of events and, of course, its gastronomy. A centerpiece of the array of gastronomic experiences available in the city is Macanese cuisine that, just like Macao, results from a fusion of east and west cultures blended through the centuries.
Main Sponsor: S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna
S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna are the main sponsors of Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants and are the leading natural mineral waters in the fine dining world. Together they interpret Italian style worldwide as a synthesis of excellence, pleasure, and well-being.
- Wynn Resorts Macau — Official Venue Partner
- Miele — Premium Partner, Official Kitchen Appliance Partner, Presenting Partner of #50BestTalks and sponsor of the ‘Miele One To Watch Award’
- elit® Vodka — Official Premium Vodka Partner and sponsor of the ‘elit® Vodka Asia’s Best Female Chef Award’
- Diners Club International® — Official Credit Card Partner and sponsor of the ‘Diners Club® Lifetime Achievement Award’
- Estrella Damm — Official Beer Partner and sponsor of the ‘Chefs’ Choice Award’
- Valrhona — Official Chocolate Partner and sponsor of the ‘Asia’s Best Pastry Chef Award’
- Lavazza — Official Coffee Partner
- Douro Boys — Official Wine Partner
- Champagne Delamotte — Official Champagne Partner
- Frontier Tojo — Official Sake Partner
- Gin Mare — Official Gin Partner
- Seedlip — Official Premium Non-Alcoholic Spirit Partner
- Cinco Jotas — Official Iberico Ham Partner
- Calia — Official Specialty Grocer Partner
- Aspire Lifestyles — Official Concierge Partner and sponsor of the ‘Highest New Entry Award’
- Taipa Village — Official Cultural Partner
- Sustainable Restaurant Association — Sustainability Audit Partner