Fabulous New Features Enhance Award-Winning All-Villa Beachfront Resort In Vietnam’s Cultural Heartland, Soon To Be A Four Seasons Experience
One of Asia’s most celebrated beachfront resorts is about to become a Four Seasons, with a host of new features enhancing the luxury vacation experience. Four Seasons Resort The Nam Hai, Hoi An, Vietnam debuts on December 20, 2016, and reservations are now being accepted.
Four Seasons Resort The Nam Hai, Hoi An, Vietnam, rests on a tranquil 1-kilometre (half mile) stretch of Ha My Beach, just 11 kilometres (7 miles) north of the UNESCO city of Hoi An in Quang Nam province on Vietnam’s central coast. An ancient trading port, Hoi An had the largest harbour in Southeast Asia in the 1st century and even opened its own stoneware kilns in the 15th century to support the growing popularity of the Japanese tea ritual. Both Christianity and Buddhism found their way to Vietnam’s shores via Hoi An in the 17th century, and today its eclectic collection of some 87 pagodas, temples and communal houses, and 82 ancient tube-shaped houses – many located on original streets – stand testament to its vibrant ancient personality.
Da Nang, a modern burst of energy and increasing exuberance that lines the gleaming Han riverfront, lies 30 kilometres (18.6 miles) north of the Resort. Towering hotels, neon-lit bars and trendy restaurants now jostle for space on its once sleepy streets and the sparkling river is now criss-crossed by spectacular bridges (including an east and west connecting swing bridge and fire-breathing Dragon Bridge), yet some things remain as pristine as ever – namely the gorgeous 32-kilometre (20-mile) curl of Da Nang Beach.
“The best is about to get even better as we unveil new features and experiences for our guests, all wrapped in the legendary service for which Four Seasons is known the world over,” says General Manager Anthony Gill, who has led the Resort team for four years. “Four Seasons Resort The Nam Hai on Ha My beach is a special place, both a sanctuary and a playground for the culturally curious, beach lovers, active families, culinary connoisseurs and spiritual seekers.”
Guests of Four Seasons Resort The Nam Hai will find refreshed villas, an enhanced beach program plus new beach bar, a new concept for its serene lagoon spa, and a new Vietnamese cooking academy. Families will especially enjoy the new family villas with special features for parents and children, and the new, fully supervised kids club loaded with indoor and outdoor fun.
In a beautiful setting perched over a lotus pond, The Heart of the Earth Spa is a haven of calm, connection and compassion. Inspired by renowned Vietnamese Zen master, scholar and peacemaker Thich Nhat Hanh, the Spa centers on the awareness that we are not separate from the Earth but at one with her, and that by aligning with nature’s rhythms, we can improve harmony within ourselves and between humanity and the planet.
All treatments feature crystal singing bowls tuned to 432 Hz. – the harmonic intonation of nature – plus simple focused breathing techniques to attune body and mind to the Earth’s heartbeat.
Showcasing the celebrated design of Paris-based Reda Amalou, the all-villa resort interprets the Vietnamese tradition of architecture as an art form. All 100 sumptuously appointed villas are thoughtfully positioned to optimize ocean views, beach breezes and phong thuy (feng shui) principles. A fine balance of indoor and outdoor spaces, contemporary artwork and local antiques incorporate characteristic Nam Hai highlights – including a raised central platform wrapped in gossamer netting complete with a padded divan, king-sized bed and bedside bathing area with a lacquered eggshell bath. Accommodations range from one-bedroom villas to five-bedroom luxury compounds. All have outdoor garden showers, and some have additional private grounds, a swimming pool and direct access to Ha My Beach.
- ONE-BEDROOM VILLAS: Enjoy Nam Hai villa highlights, including a raised central sleeping platform, bedside bath and outdoor shower garden.
- FAMILY VILLAS: Extended family space within garden-view surrounds, featuring a separate en-suite children’s room.
- POOL VILLAS: Beautiful butler-serviced residences with one to five bedrooms, heated pools, and separate living and dining pavilion.
Whether yours is just beginning, all grown-up or at any stage in-between, Four Seasons Resort The Nam Hai, Hoi An, Vietnam is a wonderful base for your family. They will go out of our way to make the youngest guests feel welcome, and the resourceful Concierge is always close at hand to make reservations for a family dinner, offer suggestions for tomorrow’s outing or help arrange a babysitter.
- BABYSITTING SERVICES: With 24 hours notice, our Housekeeping team can arrange babysitting services for your little ones. Everything possible will be done to accommodate requests with shorter notice. Please note that there is an hourly fee for this service.
- TIME FOR FUN: To keep kids entertained, the Resort offers a selection of games and books in our complimentary kids club, located on site.
- FAMILY DAY OUT: The Concierge on duty would be pleased to suggest and help you arrange suitable activities for your family’s ages and interests.
The Nam Hai’s Cooking Academy immerses you in a smorgasbord of Vietnamese taste sensations. Each day the Academy’s talented team will take you on a different culinary adventure spanning the length of Vietnam, uncovering unique flavours along the way:
- HANOI SPECIALTIES AND MARKET TOUR: Soak up the sights, sounds and smells of Hoi An’s 100-year-old central market – from dried fish and sacks of herbs to fresh noodles and catch-of-the-day seafood. Then learn the art of bun cha, a Hanoian favourite.
- IMPERIAL CUISINE AND RICE FIELD EXPERIENCE: See and experience the great cycle of rice at the artfully created local paddies. Head back in time courtesy of an ancient Hue speciality, banh khoai.
- FISH AND SEAFOOD MARKET EXPERIENCE: Journey up the Hoi An estuary to welcome home the fishermen and their catch, experience the infamous Vietnamese “best price” haggling, then savour a local delicacy, muc (squid/calamari).
- HOI AN STREET FOOD AND NOODLE FACTORY EXPERIENCE: Visit Hoi An, the birthplace of cau lau – fermented noodles served with marinated pork and myriad herbs. It’s the water from the wells, scattered throughout the old town, that gives these noodles their distinct flavour.
- LIGHT AND HEALTHY, THE TRAQUE VEGETABLE VILLAGE EXPERIENCE: Visit a horticultural wonder of perfectly manicured vegetables and herb gardens, tended to as if time hasn’t changed. Predominantly vegetarian, with a distinct lack of gluten and diary, Vietnamese cuisine appeals to the conscious consumer. Try the banana blossom salad….
- VIETNAMESE FAVOURITES AND MARKET TOUR: Personally tailored. Let the chef pick the best daily produce, or choose a signature dish and navigate the key ingredients. Pho bo (beef) or pho ga (chicken) noodle soup laced with herbs and local chilli paste and finished with a delicately flavoured broth?
- OUR CHEF’S RECOMMENDATIONS AND RICE PAPER EXPERIENCE: Set off to a local village where generations of families have produced rice paper for centuries. Then, perfect your own recipe for bo la lot: herb-infused minced beef rolled on a lot (betel) leaf, grilled and served with a spiced peanut sauce.
Just a half hour from Da Nang International Airport, Four Seasons Resort The Nam Hai is close to three spectacular UNESCO World Heritage Sites including Hue’s imperial city, the temple sanctuary of My Son and the enchanting village of Hoi An.
HOI AN (15-minute drive from the Resort): Hoi An defies description. An ancient Asian power port turned enchanting UNESCO World Heritage town, its beguiling lantern-strewn streets and artisan ateliers vie with tailor shops (more than 300 of them) and creative cafés and hole-in-the-wall eateries to cast an illuminating insight into a bygone Vietnam.
MY SON SANCTUARY (1 hour and 15-minute drive from the Resort): One of Southeast Asia’s foremost Hindu temple complexes, My Son has architectural echoes of its Cambodian counterpart, Angkor Wat. In a densely jungled valley, modern and ancient histories collide in the juxtaposition of the 4th- to 14th-century ruins with the huge craters left by the bombs of the Vietnam War.
THE IMPERIAL CITY OF HUE (3-hour drive from the Resort): This former imperial capital is an open-air museum of UNESCO World Heritage sites. Highlights include The Citadel – a three-walled palace fortress, encircled by a moat from the Perfume River; 7-storey Thien Mu Pagado, the country’s highest; and Tu Duc’s vast 12-hectare (30-acre), 50-building tomb complex, dotted with gardens and lakes.
OTHER ACTIVITIES AND LOCAL ATTRACTIONS
PHUOC HAI FISHING VILLAGE: 10-minute drive from the Resort
Experience an authentic and illuminating window into the local way of life in Phuoc Hai village. Try your hand at traditional fishing techniques; learn to paddle – and then race – a Vietnamese bamboo basket boat; and cruise the tranquil palm-flanked waterways of the Cua Dai River listening to community tales.
WET RICE GROWING (8-minute drive from the Resort): Cycle through the countryside to a local farmer’s shimmering rice paddy. Huddle together over a cup of Vietnamese tea and learn the art of wet rice cultivation. After a water buffalo ploughing demo, don traditional gear to transplant seedlings before sharing a meal with the farmer and his family.
HELICOPTER TOUR (15-minute drive from the Resort): Take to the skies for a breathtaking tour of Da Nang’s wonders: an aerial perspective of Marble Mountains; the Han River with its east and west connecting swing bridge and fire-breathing Dragon Bridge; mushroom-shaped Son Tra Peninsula; the magnificent Linh Ung Pagoda; and the gorgeous 32-kilometre (20-mile) curl of Da Nang beach.
MARBLE MOUNTAINS (15-minute drive from the Resort): Explore caves, tunnels and temples within this cluster of five marble hills, each named after the five universal elements: Kim (metal), Thuy (water), Moc (wood), Hoa (fire) and Tho (earth). Discover beautiful pagodas, colourful frescoes and sky-lit grottos dripping with water believed to be an offering from heaven.
CHAM MUSEUM (25-min drive from the Resort): At this history buffs’ and aesthetes’ dream, discover a diverse collection of Cham sculptures dating from the 7th to 15th centuries. Incorporating Cham towers and temples, the museum chronicles Cham sculpture across eight centuries, with artefacts exemplifying the rise and fall, golden age and decline of the Cham civilization.
BHO HOONG & CO TU VILLAGES (3-hour drive from the Resort): Cruise through the tiny hamlets of the Thu Bon river delta to the ethnic minority Co Tu village of Bho Hoong. After a guided tour and traditional lunch, head through the tea plantations to the village of Trung Mung – known for its wood-carving – and share a local coffee or rice wine with the Co Tu’s former king, Y Kong, and his family.
SUNSET CRUISE (10-minute drive from the Resort): Share in the mesmerizing moment that the sinking sun bids farewell to the passing parade of local fishing vessels as they set out to sea for their regular nightly hours. Try to paddle a bamboo basket boat, then settle into a comfy seat on our eco-tour boat and savour the priceless scene with a cool drink and traditional snack.
SUNRISE CRUISE (15-minute drive from the Resort): This beautiful time of morning marks the end of the local fishermen’s day. Cruise to the mouth of the Cua Dai River to usher them home, then help gather the fish, crabs and shellfish from their nets. Experience the welcome of their wives waiting on the docks, ready to sell the sea-fresh catch at nearby Hoi An Market.
BUFFALO CART EXPERIENCE (20-minute drive from the Resort): Affectionately referred to as the BMW of Vietnam, your water buffalo cart comes with a thatched roof, rustic bamboo finish and soft-back seating as standard. Embark on an exhilarating village and paddy field ride to meet the locals and learn how to cook rice the authentic Vietnamese way.
Four Seasons Resort The Nam Hai, Hoi An, Vietnam is now confirming arrivals as of December 20, 2016. Guests may reserve their status among the first to experience the new Nam Hai by calling (84) 510 394 0000 or booking online.
All images courtesy of the Four Seasons Resort The Nam Hai, Hoi An, Vietnam