Company enhances focus on quality product innovation to deliver unwavering consumer demand for taste, health and convenience at a good value
Today General Mills announced an aggressive lineup of new products set to bring more consumers to General Mills’ leading brands. More than 50 new items will debut from the company’s U.S. Retail business with dozens more rolling out in international markets during the second-half of the company’s fiscal 2014, which ends in May.
This lineup builds on strong introductions during the company’s first-half of fiscal 2014, with standouts including Nature Valley Protein Granola, Yoplait Greek blended yogurt, Nature Valley Soft Baked Oatmeal Squares and Old El Paso frozen entrees.
The latest wave of new products from General Mills is poised to meet growing consumer interest in snacks, protein-rich breakfast items, and globally-inspired convenience meals.
Snack Foods on the Rise
Consumers are seeking snack foods more than ever. General Mills continues to lead growth in the grain snacks category in the U.S., adding almost 10 points of market share over the past five years. Through the first-half of fiscal 2014, strong new product innovation from Fiber One and Nature Valley has driven a gain of nearly four more share points and retail sales gains of 11 percent.
In the second-half of the fiscal year, General Mills is launching a diverse lineup of new items across its portfolio geared to meet consumers’ increasing appetite for snacks that offer added benefits like protein, fiber, whole grains, or a full serving of a fruit or vegetable.
- Nature Valley Breakfast Biscuits – Available in Blueberry and Honey flavors, the new breakfast biscuits provide 26 grams of whole grain, 5 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber per serving.
- Fiber One Meal Bars – The Fiber One franchise enters the nutrition bar category with new Fiber One Meal Bars touting 10 grams of protein, 9 grams of fiber and fortified with 14 vitamins and minerals. Available in Chocolate Peanut Butter, Strawberry Greek Yogurt and Dark Chocolate Almond varieties.
- Yoplait Greek 100 – Taste plus protein all in 100 calories. New indulgent flavors of Yoplait Greek 100 include Apple Pie and Strawberry Cheesecake.
- Yoplait Light Dessert Mix-Ins – Yoplait Light Dessert Mix-Ins come with a serving of yogurt and a separate pack of toppings. Consumers can mix together flavors like Key Lime Pie with Graham Cracker Crumbles, Boston Cream Pie with Chocolate Cookie Crumbles, and Coconut Cream Pie with Graham Cracker Crumbles.
- Nature Valley Nut Clusters (exclusive to convenience stores) – These bite-sized clusters of nuts, dried fruit and seeds pack in 8 grams of protein per serving. Nature Valley Nut Clusters come in two varieties: Roasted Nut and Seed, and Apple Cinnamon.
- Cascadian Farm Protein Bars – For consumers seeking alternative protein, these new bars are made with organic pea protein and are available in Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip and Honey Roasted Nut.
- LA RABAR uber bars – These sweet, salty and chewy bars add two new decadent flavors: Dark Chocolate Turtle and Dark Chocolate Peanut.
- Green Giant savory snacks – Building on the growing popularity of its veggie snack chips, Green Giant is introducing new Baked Sweet Potato Fries and Baked Veggie Puffs.
- Chex Mix Popped – Popped popcorn plus traditional Chex Mix combine for a lighter snack option. Available in Sweet & Salty and White Cheddar flavors.
- Chex Chips (exclusive to convenience stores) – A bigger, puffier version of the Chex pieces consumers love, in four bold flavors: Caramelized Onion, Cheddar Jalapeño, Cinnamon & Sugar, and Wasabi.
- Food Should Taste Good Pita Puffs – Available in four sophisticated flavors – Pesto, Chive, Cinnamon Sugar, and Multigrain – these pita puffs are big on flavor with a light, crisp texture.
Breakfast Still a Great Start
Ready-to-eat cereal is still the most popular at-home breakfast choice in the U.S., with more than 90 percent of U.S. households purchasing cereal each year. Big G has led category performance for several years and gained share through the first half of fiscal 2014. General Mills plans to drive growth in the second-half by bringing product news and innovation to the cereal aisle with:
- Fiber One Protein Cereal – For protein seekers, this sweetened granola cereal offers 10 grams of protein with milk and 20 percent Daily Value of fiber. Available in Maple Brown Sugar and Cranberry Almond varieties.
- Nature Valley Protein Granola – Great taste plus 10 grams of protein per serving, the new Cranberry Almond flavor is ideal with milk, on top of yogurt or all on its own.
- Multi-Grain Cheerios Dark Chocolate Crunch – Dark chocolate flavored O’s and clusters made with real cocoa and five different whole grains, the newest Multi-Grain Cheerios variety provides 15 grams of whole grain, 9 grams of sugar and just 110 calories per serving.
- Chocolate Toast Crunch – Consumers who love those irresistible squares will be excited to try this new chocolate variety.
- Cascadian Farm Graham Crunch – These delicious organic graham squares are made with wheat, rice, oats and a sprinkle of sugar. Continue reading