Canadian Olympic Team calls upon nation to rally behind Sochi-bound athletes with new brand campaign
With 37 days remaining until the Sochi 2014 Olympic Games, the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) today launched its “We Are Winter” campaign, its most integrated, digitally enabled and largest brand undertaking in its history.
The national video debut of “We Are Winter,” entitled Crossroads featuring Sochi medal hopefuls Kaillie Humphries, Mark McMorris and Mikaël Kingsbury , aired nationally during CBC’s coverage of the 2014 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic® on January 1 on CBC-TV and online at cbcsports.ca. Four-time Olympian and Lillehammer 1994 Olympic gold medallist, Jean-Luc Brassard , and Salt Lake City 2002 Olympic gold medallist, Steve Yzerman contributed to voice-overs.
The 17 athletes featured in “WE ARE WINTER” include:
- Kaillie Humphries & Chelsea Valois, Bobsleigh (Calgary, AB & Zenon Park , SK);
- Denny Morrison, Long Track Speed Skating (Fort St. John, BC);
- Mark McMorris, Snowboard – Slopestyle (Regina, SK);
- Mikaël Kingsbury, Freestyle Skiing – Moguls ( Deux-Montagnes, QC);
- Roz Groenewoud, Freestyle Skiing – Halfpipe (Calgary, AB);
- Charles Hamelin, Short Track Speed Skating (Sainte-Julie, QC);
- François Hamelin, Short Track Speed Skating (Sainte-Julie, QC);
- Alex Bilodeau, Freestyle Skiing – Moguls (Rosemère, QC);
- Justine Dufour-Lapointe, Freestyle Skiing – Moguls (Montreal, QC);
- Marianne St-Gelais, Short Track Speed Skating (Saint-Félicien, QC);
- Sarah Reid, Skeleton (Calgary, AB);
- Noah Bowman, Freestyle Skiing – Halfpipe (Calgary, AB);
- Meagan Duhamel & Eric Radford, Figure Skating (Lively, ON & Balmertown, ON);
- Alex Gough, Luge (Calgary, AB); and
- Meaghan Mikkelson, Ice Hockey (St. Albert, AB).
The new campaign amassed more than 100 hours of video footage and was planned, shot and edited over a 16-month period. Canadians will recognize some of Canada’s most natural backdrops, as scenes from the Canadian Rockies, the Prairies and settings in the province of Quebec are all highlighted in the campaign. “We Are Winter” features two :60-second and four :30-second TV spots and one :15-second spot all in French and English.
Shot on location in Calgary, Montreal, Quebec City and Whistler, “We Are Winter” depicts the high-performance training regimens of Canadian athletes through the lens of critically-acclaimed Canadian director and producer, Henry Lu. The campaign also features dramatic stills of Sochi-bound athletes, captured by top Canadian photographer Chris Gordaneer from Westside Studios.
“The essence of this campaign originated from conversations with our athletes who all said the same thing: Winter defines them and defines who we are as a country,” said Derek Kent , Chief Marketing Officer, Canadian Olympic Committee. “We wanted to inspire Canadians by showcasing the drive, determination and grit of our athletes as they train for the Olympic Games. We wanted Canadians to really get to know our athletes and their remarkably inspiring stories. We are proud of what we have built and that we are putting a brighter spotlight on our national sporting heroes.”
In total, the campaign will show 17 of Canada’s athletes promoting 10 Olympic sports and includes seven inspiring athlete documentaries. In addition to airing the national TV debut, CBC is also the exclusive broadcaster of the :60 spot entitled MANIFESTO, voiced by Yzerman, who is also a former Detroit Red Wing Captain and current Executive Director of Canada’s Men’s Hockey Team. Continue reading